Looking back at my corporate marketing days in the vitamin category, January communications were, without fail, some version of “New Year, New You”. Perhaps that resonates with you; maybe this year (and every year?) you are looking for real reinvention. It no longer resonates with me, and I’m not actually sure it ever did. I do see January as a blank slate, and I love New Year’s Day. January 1st is one of the absolute best holidays, in my opinion, because it is full of hope and possibility for the year ahead, and yet completely devoid of expectations from others. You don’t have to go anywhere or accomplish anything; it’s almost a universal pyjama day!
But back to “New Year, New You” which I am personally editing to “New Year, Same Me with Better Habits”. An incrementally better version of me. Nothing revolutionary, but just some positive tweaks to my daily habits to reflect better, more consistent self-care. Very much in line with the entire spirit of Niyama, which roughly translates to good habits. Nothing I can’t live up to, or that will make me feel bad about myself if I don’t nail. Because we’ve all had a very challenging couple years, and we don’t need more pressure on ourselves to be perfect. But I do think that naming some things you want to work on is a great way to start a new year. So, grab a pen, or open up the notes app on your phone, and jot down 3-5 habits you want to commit to for 2022. Make them meaningful, but possible.
Here are the 5 habits I am improving for 2022:
- Making Sleep a Priority
Nothing new here friends. As a recovered insomniac, this will be my top wellness goal every year, because, for me there is no self-care without good sleep.
My sleep hacks:
- Good sleep hygiene, including a regular bedtime and wake time, consistent bedtime routine, no screens 30 minutes (or more) before bed, a cool, dark room (or a sleep mask) and no daytime naps.
- A bath before bed – I wish I had time every night, but I make time on Sundays to banish the “Sunday Scaries” – and I’m loving our Sleep Like Buddha Bath Soak
- Sleep Like Buddha - 1 capsule 30 minutes before bed and a second only if I wake in the night with busy brain
- Hey Relax Magnesium Powder – this is brand new and I’ve only been using it a week, but it is truly relaxation in a glass! I have it in the evening and it helps me to chill out and then sleep really deeply.
- Nourishing my Mental Health
- Managing stress in positive ways with time outside in nature, exposure to sunlight, daily movement, laughter and connection. Hugs help too, in a big way.
- Noticing and addressing the negative self-chatter. What we think affects us in potent ways. This is hard work and an ongoing process for me. Especially as an entrepreneur. But noticing when your thoughts are negative is the first step, and then working on thinking kinder thoughts. Which doesn’t mean not holding yourself accountable, but rather ensuring that you treat your inner self with kindness and encouragement – as you would with anyone you care about.
- Daytime Zen. Can’t be my best self without these. 1 capsule as soon as I wake up, before I even get out of bed. One and done.
- Eating More Plants
For January my goal is getting back to what I know feels good – December was completely off the rails in the most delicious way, especially in the baking area (hello cookies, pastries and Christmas morning Montreal bagels with lox) – and I will say I enjoyed every bite, but I’m left feeling sluggish and in need of a reset.
- Our Clean Plant Protein is my go-to for smoothies and energy balls. Back to my breakfast smoothies and stocking the freezer with energy balls for snacking.
- My husband and soulmate just launched a brand of supplements called Younited Nutrition with Purpose. He has the best All-In greens/superfood product I have ever tried – and I’ve tried a lot. And while I’m unconditional in my support for him, I’m super picky about supplements, so I say this with utter honesty. It has 53 different fruit and veggie extracts providing the antioxidant equivalent of 6-8 servings of veggie in two flavours. My fave is the Pineapple Mango. We’ll be working on one for Niyama too because it’s just so good!
- Flossing Every Day
- Daily Movement
I’m pretty good at this, because it makes such a huge difference in my mood and the way I feel. My incremental improvement will be keeping consistent and incorporating more in-person classes because they are so inspiring and energizing. Our Covid puppy Leo is a big help in getting more nature walks in too!
Do these resonate with you? I’d love to know what is on your list for 2022 – feel free to drop me a comment here or an email at email@example.com
Wishing you health and happiness for the year ahead!
Love & Peace,